Friday, April 10, 2009

A Friend Who Would Help Move A Body

I feel like I need to find a new, springy blog template. While I like this one a lot, it feels very winter to me and spring is starting to arrive in Philadelphia. The pink and white of the cherry trees is appearing, forsythia is leaving pops of bright yellow along the landscape and there are buds on trees. Very soon the world will stop being so brown and will be full of colour and light again.

Which is how I am feeling myself.

I am doing the read-along profiled on the right side over there somewhere (imagine cool graphic arrow here) and it is amazingly profound. It’s one of those things that I feel has found me at the right time. I love when right place and right time line up!

One of the things that Brene talked about was “a friend who would move a body” and I LOVE that. I have always defined a good friend as one who doesn’t ask why the hell are you calling so late when you call at 3 am but rather “what took you so long to call?”. I am blessed to have a few of those in my life. But I like the idea of a friend who would help you move a body. Brene tells the story of a friend of a friend whose mother is struggling with alcoholism and winds up passed out on her couch one afternoon. This woman comes home from work and finds her mother and wants to get her to the bedroom before the kids come home so that they don’t see their grandmother that way. So she calls her friend and says “I need you to help me move my mom” and her friend does. And she chose this friend because she knew that there would be no judgment, no telling tales of this gossipy scene and the next time she saw her mother there wouldn’t be a trace of this situation on her face or in her presence. I LOVE THAT. And I strive to be that kind of friend – one who would help a friend move a body and the one that would be called upon to do so.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Somehow, I have a feeling you would help me move a body. Just because of the things that I feel like I can share with you. And we've only ever met in person, what? Once?

Amanda said...

Hells YES I would help you Sarah -- no doubt about it!

Andie said...

try the cutest blog on the block.com

Post a Comment